Going on Retreat

I am long over do to go on a spiritual retreat. Today, I am finally going to do it. After officiating at a grave side service later this morning, I will be heading up to Camp Friedenswald to spend a little time alone with God. My own retreat time will envelope our CDC Pastors’ Resource Day on Tuesday which will focus on “Listening to God.” This should give me some more things to think and pray about. I will return to Pandora late Wednesday afternoon in time for our midweek Bible Study.


While looking forward to this time alone, I am not sure I am completely comfortable with it. The reason I don’t go in retreat more often is that I convince myself that I really don’t have time. Too Many things to do. Sermons to write. People to Visit. Emails to respond to. Classes to prepare for. Things to organize and clean up. Articles to write. I then realize I begin to sound like Martha who is fretting over so many important things that I forget to be like Mary and simply sit at Jesus’ feet. Maybe I need to look at this time away as being “too busy NOT to take a retreat.” Maybe I need this time away to gain a little perspective and see what is really important rather than continue to shuffle papers and go from thing to thing while actually not accomplishing much of significance. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment