“Always be prepared
to give an answer to everyone
who asks you to give the reason
for the hope that you have.
But do this with gentleness and respect.”
I Peter 3:15

This week a reporter from the newspaper in Findlay called to ask if she could come and interview me. She had recently began the Bluffton “beat” and found out that there was a concentration of Mennonites living in the area. She said many people realize there is a large number of Mennonites but don’t really don’t know much about them. She wanted to do an informative article about who the Mennonites are and what set them apart from the other Christians.
Her first question asked about the difference between Mennonites and the Amish and reflected the common misperception that Mennonites are very similar to Amish in dress etc. Further questions got into the meat of what Mennonites believe and why. It was a delightful and respectful time of sharing who we are as Mennonites.
However, some of the questions caught me off guard. I didn’t feel I was as clear and articulate as I wanted to be on something that is very precious to me. I realized that in our society that I always need to be ready with a clear answer about our faith and why I believe what I believe.
I have recently read an excellent pamphlet by Palmer Becker on “What is an Anabaptist Christian?” (Published by Mennonite Mission Network in their Missio Dei series). He states three core values of Anabaptist Christians based on The Anabaptist Vision by Harold S Bender in 1943. The Core Values are the following:
1. Jesus is the center of our faith.
2. Community is the center of our lives.
3. Reconciliation is the center of our work.

Certainly there is much to say about each of these core values. In the back of this pamphlet is a summary of each with a two column chart which helps explain how Anabaptist Mennonite Christians are uniquely different from many other Christians. Let me give you one example. Under Core Value #1, Jesus is the center of our faith, Becker has in the first column of “Many Christians emphasize” a brief summary of what many Christians emphasize about Christ’s death.
Many Christians focus on the holiness of God and their need for justification. They emphasize the death and resurrection of Christ without a proper emphasis on the life and teachings of Jesus. Christianity is forgiveness.
Becker has this to say in the column “Anabaptist Christians emphasize”
Anabaptist Christians affirm the holiness and forgiving grace of God but also give strong emphasis to the transforming power of the words, ministry and spiritual presence of Jesus. Christianity is discipleship.

This is only one of several contrasting statements under each of the core values. I will let you get the pamphlet and study it for yourselves. The reading and rereading of pamphlets like this help me to always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks me to give the reason for the hope that I have. I look forward to see how the reporter from the Findlay paper interprets our conversation.
May God bless each of you as you live your lives of discipleship to Jesus this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment